Although the status of permanent residence does not by itself expire, Green Cards, which are the official documentation of PR) needs to be renewed every 10 years. If you do not renew your Green Card within the stipulated time it might become difficult for you to travel abroad or to prove that you are eligible for employment in the USA.
To renew the green card at the end of 10 years you will need to use the form I-90. The same form can be used to replace a green card that has not expired, too.
WHEN SHOULD THE GREEN CARD RENEWAL FORM I-90 BE FILED?
- The renewal application can be filed within six months of the expiration date mentioned on the Green Card, it cannot be filed before this period or in advance.
- In case of the green card’s having expired already, the form I-90 should be filed immediately.
- In case you possess an older Green Card that does not have an expiration date, it is strongly recommended that you apply for a newer replacement card using the Form I-90.
SITUATIONS IN WHICH YOU NEED TO FILE FORM I-90
Apart from renewal requirements, the form can also be used during the occurrence of the following situations:
- Loss of card or when it is stolen
- Mutilated card or at the eventuality of it being destroyed
- Spelling error
- Non-receipt of card
- Change of name
- If one becomes a permanent resident before one turned 14 years old, the card needs to be replaced after the 14th birthday.
APPEAL FOR GREEN CARD RENEWAL
Sometimes green card renewals may not be granted for a lot of reasons. 2 of the most common reasons are 1). Adjustment of immigrant category and 2) Criminal actions.
1) ADJUSTMENT OF IMMIGRANT CATEGORY: This implies that your status has changed in such a way that the reason for your being granted a green card in the first place no longer holds true anymore. For instance, if you were issued a green card through your marriage to a US citizen but your marriage has now annulled your Green Card is now no longer valid.
2). CRIMINAL ACTIONS: If you have perpetrated in a major crime, you can no longer be seen as a valuable part of American society. But this really proves applicable to major crimes such as murders or robberies. Crimes such as earning speeding tickets, etc. are usually seen as minor and these would not probably result in the denial of a Green Card renewal application.
DENIAL OR REJECTION OF GREEN CARD RENEWAL APPLICATION:
In the event of such a situation happening you have an opportunity to ask USCIS to reconsider their decision. What you could do is to submit a motion to reopen or submit a plea to reconsider – this has to be done with the same office that rejected your application. This will prompt USCIS to re-examine your case and reconsider your plea.
Be sure to write your application with clarity, while providing evidence as to why your application was denied and why USCIS should reconsider its decision.
Always carry your Green Card on your person- every legal immigrant in the United States is always required to carry the card, wherever he or she travels.
easyIME.com is a free service, which streamlines the immigration medical exam process for green card aspirants by helping them locate the right USCIS Civil Surgeon and schedule their green card medical exam online. Green card aspirants can also find immigration lawyers near their zip code through this service.